Job Interview Questions
What are frequently asked interview questions for 2+ years experienced SQL Server developer?
, former Seo Developer at itEANz Technologies Pvt Ltd, Bangalore
1.WHICH TCP/IP PORT DOES SQL SERVER RUN ON? HOW CAN IT BE CHANGED?
SQL Server runs on port 1433. It can be changed from the Network Utility TCP/IP properties.
2.WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CLUSTERED AND A NON-CLUSTERED INDEX?
- A clustered index is a special type of index that reorders the way records in the table are physically stored. Therefore table can have only one clustered index. The leaf nodes of a clustered index contain the data pages.
- A non clustered index is a special type of index in which the logical order of the index does not match the physical stored order of the rows on disk. The leaf node of a non clustered index does not consist of the data pages. Instead, the leaf nodes contain index rows.
3.WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT INDEX CONFIGURATIONS A TABLE CAN HAVE?
A table can have one of the following index configurations:
- No indexes
- A clustered index
- A clustered index and many nonclustered indexes
- A nonclustered index
- Many nonclustered indexes
4.WHAT ARE DIFFERENT TYPES OF COLLATION SENSITIVITY?
- Case sensitivity – A and a, B and b, etc.
- Accent sensitivity
- Kana Sensitivity – When Japanese kana characters Hiragana and Katakana are treated differently, it is called Kana sensitive.
- Width sensitivity – A single-byte character (half-width) and the same character represented as a double-byte character (full-width) are treated differently than it is width sensitive.
5.WHAT IS OLTP (ONLINE TRANSACTION PROCESSING)?
In OLTP – online transaction processing systems relational database design use the discipline of data modeling and generally follow the Codd rules of data normalization in order to ensure absolute data integrity. Using these rules complex information is broken down into its most simple structures (a table) where all of the individual atomic level elements relate to each other and satisfy the normalization rules.
6.WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PRIMARY KEY AND A UNIQUE KEY?
Both primary key and unique key enforces uniqueness of the column on which they are defined. But by default primary key creates a clustered index on the column, where are unique creates a nonclustered index by default. Another major difference is that, primary key doesn’t allow NULLs, but unique key allows one NULL only.
sponsored by DatadogHQ.com
, SQL Consultant and Blogger
According to my experience if you have 2 years of experience you will face at least 2 technical rounds. So, start your SQL interview preparation . Here I am sharing a few questions which are most asked in SQL interview. Let’s have a look –
Q.1 When does a session actually start and how it is maintained?
Q.2 Why do we need Http handlers and mode?
Q.3 What are the properties of a relational table?
Q.4 How can you find the 2nd highest salary of the employee?
Q.5 What do you know about ACID in SQL Server?
Q.7 How can we retain a TempData value?
Q.8 Explain denormalization. Tell us when you will go for it.
Q.9 Give me the code to check if any records exist
Q.10 Explain two actions which can be undertaken by tempdb files to increase the server’s performance.
Q.11 Tell us the difference between UNION and UNION ALL with the example.
Q.12 What are the standard SQL commands that every developer should know?
Q.13 How can you maintain the data integrity?
Q.14 Explain the purpose of the database normalization. How does it work?
Q.15 What do you know about action results?
So, these were some questions which you must prepare. Along with this, frame good answers based on the projects you did. Surely, interviewers will ask about the knowledge you gain in the past 2 years.
Hope the information is helpful to you.
You can thank me by upvoting the answer.
Also, you can refer my previous answers –
Follow my account Bharvi Vyas for more SQL answers.
Bharvi Vyass answer to What would be an SQL query for my interview question?
Bharvi Vyass answer to What should I study for a SQL technical interview?
Bharvi Vyass answer to Which SQL interview questions effectively test depth of experience and knowledge?
, Co-founder at GeekyPrep.com,Ex-SDE at Amazon.com, BITS-Pilani CSE 08-12
Most SQL theory interview questions revolve around these topics:
- ACID transactions
- Types of keys in databases and their significance
- Differences between SQL and No-SQL databases
- SQL and No-SQL databases application real life examples
- A real life design problem like a Bank, School etc.
Questions around SQL queries revolve around:
- GROUP BY and HAVING usage
- Aggregate functions
- Nested queries
There are good SQL MCQs and interview experiences on GeekyPrep.com. Join us, Prepare for Interviews, Get Hired!!
You can practice and read them there.
sponsored by DigitalOcean
, Post Graduate Diploma Software Engineering & Computer Programming, Centennial College, Toronto, Canada (2019)
Here is a list of PLSQL Questions and Answers you can use to practice before interviews.
PLSQL Interview Questions And Answers For Practice
HOW TO DISPLAY THE DEPARTMENT NAME SALES USING PL/SQL BLOCK
HOW TO DISPLAY THE EMPLOYEE DETAILS OF 7686 THROUGH PL/SQL BLOCK
HOW TO RETURN THE SUM OF THE SALARIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES IN THE SPECIFIED DEPARTMENT
HOW TO ADD A NEW EMPLOYEE TO THE EMP_DUPLICATE TABLE THROUGH PL/SQL BLOCK
HOW To UPDATE THE EMPLOYEE SALARY WITH INCREASE OF 5000 THAN EARLIER AMOUNT AND WITH JOB AS MANAGER
HOW TO DELETE ROWS FOR THE DEPARTMENT 20 AND PRINT THE NUMBER OF ROWS DELETED USING SQL CURSOR ATTRIBUTES
HOW TO CREATE A PL/SQL BLOCK THAT SELECTS THE MAXIMUM DEPARTMENT NUMBER IN THE DEPARTMENTS TABLE IT IN AN iSQL*PLUS VARIABLE.PRINT THE RESULTS TO THE SCREEN
HOW TO INSERT INTO A NEW DEPARTMENT INTO THE TABLE
****A) USING THE DEFINE COMMAND PROVIDE THE DEPARTMENT NAME AS NEW_DEPARTMENT
****B)USING THE iSQL*PLUS SUBSTITUTION VARIABLE PASS THE LOCATION
HOW TO CREATE A PL/SQL BLOCK THAT DELETES THE DEPARTMENT NUMBER 20
****A) USING THE DEFINE COMMAND PROVIDE THE DEPARTMENT NUMBER.
****B) USING THE iSQL*PLUS SUBSTITUTION VARIABLE PASS THE VALUE TO PL/SQL BLOCK.
****C) PRINT TO THE SCREEN NUMBER OF ROWS AFFECTED.
HOW TO CREATE A PL/SQL BLOCK SUCH THAT IF THE EMPLOYEE NAME WAS KEVIN THEN SET THE MANAGER_ID TO 150
If you are looking for a SQL server questions for experienced so you are at right place.There are lot of opportunities from many reputed companies in the world.You still have opportunity to move ahead in your career in SQL Server.
And many questions are there which are asked in the interviews for a 2 + years experience they are :
1) In what sequence SQL statement are processed?
2) Can we write a distributed query and get some data which is located on other server and on Oracle Database ?
3) Can we add identity column to decimal data type?
4) What are the Multiple ways to execute a dynamic query ?
5) How do you generate file output from SQL?
6) Could you please name different kinds of Joins available in SQL Server ?
7) When will union and union all behave the same?
8) What are SQL joins?
9) What will be the result of the query below? Explain your answer and provide a version that behaves correctly.
10) Can we call .DLL from SQL server?
These all questions are frequently ask in any microsoft sql developer position. So if you are going for the interview then just learn about these all question as I mentioned above.
To know more about their microsoft sql developer process check out their portfolio or connect with the team .
, Software Engineer at TCS Lucknow
Whether you are experienced or fresher, this article will cover all Microsoft SQL Server query questions from basic to advanced level.
Top 100 sql server queries interview question